The Good Food Institute is a global nonprofit building a sustainable, healthy, and just food system. Our scientists, entrepreneurs, lawyers, and policy experts are harnessing the power of food innovation and markets to accelerate the transition of the world’s food system to plant-based and cell-based meat, eggs, and dairy.
Senior Scientist — Plant-Based Proteins
Engineer a new paradigm in food production
The Good Food Institute (GFI) is at the forefront of the movement to use food technology and markets to solve some of the world’s biggest problems, from climate change and global hunger to antibiotic resistance and the exploitation of billions of animals annually.
How You Will Make a Difference
In this role, you will have the opportunity to analyze the technical landscape for plant-based protein, articulate shared challenges, and identify opportunities to involve new experts, industries, and technologies. Your analyses will help create a roadmap for improving the quality of plant-based products and growing their market share. You will ensure that the best scientists are engaged in plant-based R&D and that significant funds are directed toward scientific endeavors to transform agriculture toward more sustainable systems. Working with key academic, nonprofit, and industry stakeholders, you will help plant-based products dominate the marketplace as quickly as possible. The Senior Scientist — Plant-Based Proteins will be responsible for:
- Leading and writing technical analyses of the plant-based meat, egg, and dairy industries that culminate in white papers, conference presentations, and peer-reviewed articles.
- Forecasting future bottlenecks and obstacles that may inhibit the long-term growth of the plant-based industry and proposing solutions to proactively alleviate these bottlenecks.
- Identifying the key areas requiring the most focused research and finding qualified researchers to perform that work.
- Launching and overseeing original research projects through contracted partners and collaborators.
- Supporting the SciTech funding team by engaging high-priority investors, foundations, government agencies, and others who can infuse significant capital into plant-based technology development.
- Informing strategic decisions through insights derived from deep industry analysis and examining parallel models for accelerating emerging industries.
- Building GFI’s capacity to serve as a knowledge hub for the industry and as a connector and force multiplier.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
The Fine Print
- Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
- Reports to: Liz Specht, Associate Director of Science and Technology
- Location: Remote; United States
- Travel: Flexible, but anticipated travel of 1 to 2 weeks per quarter for conferences, workshops, and organizational retreats.
- Benefits: Working from home, full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) plan with employer match, flexible holiday and vacation plans, opportunity for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues.
- This is a U.S.-based position: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
- Salary: $50,000-$60,000
Application Deadline: March 8, 2020
Please apply online at https://grnh.se/f8122c7c2
Who We’re Looking For
The Senior Scientist — Plant-Based Proteins must have:
- A Ph.D. in a relevant scientific field.
- Exceptional writing skills for technical and general audiences.
- Comfort with public speaking.
- A proven track record of analyzing scientific literature and publishing literature reviews.
- Experience translating scientific information into formats for non-scientific professionals.
- A functional understanding of the principles, methods, equipment, and techniques used in plant-based meat, egg, and dairy research and manufacturing, with a preferred focus on plant-based ingredients and raw material processing and functionality.
- Coursework in—or working exposure to—economics, supply chain management, and science policy or agricultural policy (preferred).
- Comfort working remotely and in a rapidly growing and evolving organization.
- Strong enthusiasm for GFI’s philosophy and mission; demonstrated interest in public health, environmentalism, animal protection, or hunger relief.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.