Research scientists have open-ended promotion potential. Research accomplishments and their impact on the duties and responsibilities of positions are evaluated periodically. The grade level is limited only by the individual's demonstrated ability to perform research of recognized importance to science and technology. *Final grade level may be determined by a peer review panel.
This is an interdisciplinary position and may be filled in any of the job series/position titles listed. In addition to the specialized experience requirements, applicants must submit proof that they meet the educational requirements for at least one of the series described in the announcement. Applicants may only be appointed to job series/position titles for which they meet all experience and educational requirements.
Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement including specialized experience and/or education, as defined below.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
0401 Series: Degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resources management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position OR Combination of education and experience - courses equivalent to a major as show above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
0440 Series: Degree in genetics or one of the basic biological sciences that included at least 9 semester hours in genetics.
In addition to meeting the basic requirements described above, applicants must also meet additional qualification requirements as stated below.
GS-14: Applicants must demonstrate at least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is experience directly related to the position to be filled. The specialized experience requirements for the GS-14 level of this position are:
- Experience in conducting research focused on devising and developing tools for production trait prediction and/or performing physiological studies that examine the interaction between genetics and management (feed nutrients) and the environment (methane production) in dairy cattle/ruminants; and
- Presenting research results related to the basis for genetic potential and/or value of ruminants, particularly dairy animals, to professional societies and other outside of the organization; and
- Experience publishing research results in peer reviewed journals in the area of genetic merit in dairy cattle or ruminants that elucidate the accuracy of genomic evaluation or underlying biological mechanisms; and
- Experience managing human (hiring, evaluating performance, monitoring work progress), fiscal, and physical resources for research projects.
GS-15: Applicants must demonstrate at least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-14 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is experience directly related to the position to be filled. The specialized experience requirements for the GS-15 level of this position are:
- Leading a multidisciplinary team conducting research focused on focused on devising and developing tools for production trait prediction and/or performing physiological studies that examine the interaction between genetics and management (feed nutrients) and the environment (methane production) in dairy cattle/ruminants; and
- Organizing or leading national and international research symposia or workshops within and outside the organization to present and discuss research related to the basis for genetic potential and/or value of ruminants, particularly dairy animals; and
- Experience publishing research results in peer reviewed journals in the area of genetic merit in dairy cattle or ruminants that integrates "omic" (such as genomics, epigenetics) and physiological information to ascertain the accuracy of genomic evaluation and/or underlying biological mechanisms; and
- Experience in analyzing and establishing human (hiring, evaluating performance, monitoring work progress), fiscal, and physical resources for a research program and providing overall management of each research project.
Supervisory/Managerial Competencies - the following KSAs will also be used to evaluate candidates in the interview and selection process:
- Ability to lead and accomplish work through others (i.e. team building, conflict management, cultural awareness, strategic thinking, technology management, and political savvy.)
- Ability to communicate with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds in a variety of situations.
To be considered for this position, you must submit a one-page abstract of your MS thesis and/or Ph.D. dissertation. Also, submit a list of names, addresses, and phone numbers of persons familiar with your stature, contributions, recognition; any honors or awards received; memberships in professional or honor societies; invitations to make presentations at scientific/technical meetings; scientific society office and committee assignments; presentations (other than invitation); and publications.
Applicants must be available to report for duty at the time a selection is made. Selections are typically made within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.